Australian state braced for new announcement; South Africa accounts for more than half of Africa’s diagnosed Covid-19 infections; WHO anticipates “lengthy” pandemic. Follow the latest updates
- Victoria to announce stage four coronavirus lockdown restrictions with federal backing
- Victoria and Melbourne coronavirus map
- Melbourne’s stage 3 Covid-19 lockdown rules explained
- The week Covid-19 roared back in Europe
- See all our coronavirus coverage
South Africa has now registered more than 500,000 cases of coronavirus, the health ministry announced Saturday, making it by far the hardest-hit country in Africa.
The country has become the epicentre of the deadly pandemic on the continent, accounting for more than half of Africa’s diagnosed infections.
Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn from the US Open in a huge blow to the New York grand slam, AAP reports.
The Australian tennis superstar said he had no problem with the USTA proceeding with their plans to hold the tournament in September but cited health and safety concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic as he joined world No.1 Ashleigh Barty in opting out of the Flushing Meadows major.